Job Title: Production Manager
Job Location: Kampala
Reporting To: Chief Operations Officer
BODAWERK International Ltd. is a Ugandan social innovations company that has developed an intelligent energy storage system for productive use.
Capacity focuses on battery production and surrounding applications.
We have developed our proprietary technology locally and are a local Li-ion battery pack manufacturer as well as an electric vehicle assembler. Our mission is to unlock the potential of renewable energy with affordable, cutting-edge technology for East Africa and accelerate the transition with our low-cost, shareable, digital and recyclable Li-Ion battery pack standard managed on our self-developed operational management software platform. Our goal is to operate our technology in Uganda while licensing it worldwide.
The Production Manager’s responsibilities include implementing existing mechatronic systems, assuring quality in product concepts and sub-assemblies, testing mechanical/electronic systems, and developing various automated systems to optimize production.
- Effectively and efficiently manage the production of the required daily/weekly/monthly targets in line with customer specifications, meeting quality and delivery expectations, minimizing costs where possible, and ensuring the required best working practices are maintained at all times;
- Drive process improvements on Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) by appropriate data analysis, produce written reports and make presentations and perform root cause analysis and resolve problems;
- Manage and lead the team, ensuring adequate staffing levels, managing holiday allowances, recruitment, training, development, appraisal, attendance, disciplinary issues, and daily supervision to maximize efficient productivity;
- Improve manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements, equipment layout, human resource capacity, waste elimination using Six Sigma, Lean, DMAIC tools;
- Maintain and organize the plant facilities, production equipment, and plant utilities so as to minimize downtime of any of those. Upkeep all facilities, machines, jig & fixtures, production equipment in good working condition via regular preventive maintenance plans.
- Communicate and liaise with other departmental managers regarding throughput of stock to ensure production targets are met;
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors;
- Identify and deploy the technical skill sets, resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources as required;
- Set department objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports, manage, coach and develop a high performing manufacturing team that meets agreed objectives and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements;
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member of the team understands the standards and behaviours expected of them;
- Work as part of the management team to share ideas and improve operation, recommending, supporting and implementing continuous improvement activities and process and procedure improvements to optimize results and improve quality of delivery, in line with quality standards requirements delivery in line with Company and Customer requirements;
- Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and materials and advise others of any impact;
- Design and fabrication of components using Cad software, other tools, and rapid prototyping where needed;
The ideal candidate should have these desired competencies;
- Degree/Diploma, preferable in Manufacturing/Electronics or Mechatronics Engineering
- Demonstrated Knowledge and Skill with Computer Aided Design and concepts
- Ability to break down complex issues into simpler steps and be able to resolve them.
- Strong mathematical, analytical, and creative thinking skills.
- Technical experience in product design, prototyping, manufacturing, testing, and refining new products
- Creativity, technically savvy, excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to work both independently and within teams and under time constraints
- Good organisational skills, quick learner, interested in learning new skills
- Experience working in a factory, manufacturing operation, or similar with project management skills like Agile methodologies (e.g., scrum, Kanban), Lean manufacturing
- Being the team player who brings everyone from across the business together to get the job done
- Proven working experience in Lithium-ion batteries
- Ability to build strong partnerships with the relevant stakeholders involved.
- Ability to learn new initiatives to improve their work productivity
- Strong leadership qualities, resourcefulness and demonstrated high level of initiative, hands-on.
We are looking for someone who is driven, passionate, and is willing to get their hands dirty and go all in to be challenged to the limits of engineering potential.
Bodawerk offers a fun, supportive work environment and opportunities for continued professional growth within a fast-growing global enterprise. It is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, HIV/Aids, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.