Job Location: Kampala
Reporting To: Project Manager
Introduction to Bodawerk:
BODAWERK International Ltd. is a Ugandan social innovations company that has developed an intelligent energy storage system for productive use.
Our target sectors are mobility with our electric motorcycle (E-Boda), agriculture with our electric tractor (E-Trak), and healthcare (E-Wheely). Additionally, we have developed a disruptively affordable solar power system that shares its energy storage with the above-mentioned applications, providing a solution for the last-mile-distribution of power.
We have developed our proprietary technology locally and are a local Li-ion battery pack manufacturer as well as an electric vehicle assembler. Our mission is to unlock the potential of renewable energy with affordable, cutting-edge technology for East Africa and accelerate the transition with our low-cost, shareable, digital and recyclable Li-Ion battery pack standard managed on our self-developed operational management software platform. Our goal is to operate our technology in Uganda while licensing it worldwide.
The Project Engineer (E-Trak) will help with the design and build-out of several unique electric vehicles for use in an agricultural mechanization services business located in Northern Uganda.
- Sourcing mechanical and electrical components from across Kampala with expediency. The ideal candidate is expected to have knowledge of the different mechanical and electrical parts markets or prior experience in sourcing for parts for building projects.
- Fabricating of custom parts, when necessary, which will involve cutting, grinding and welding. The candidate needs to be having metal fabrication experience. A strong willingness to work with your hands and get dirty is necessary. This will not be a traditional desk job; 70 percent of your time will be spent on your feet working with your hands.
- Building custom wiring harnesses/looms. The candidate will need experience with electrical circuits or wiring diagrams and the ability to build wiring harnesses and looms.
- Testing in the field. Towards the end of each build-out real-world testing becomes essential. You will be required to travel far outside of Kampala and help design and lead experiments to determine the machine’s fitness at different design stages. Your core responsibility is to continually refine the machine/product until it reaches the point where it is ready to be used in the field reliably.
- Diagnostics and Repair. When electrical, mechanical, or design issues arise you will be expected to help isolate and define the problem and then implement solutions. This will require of you to think critically and creatively with a developed ability to scour the internet for solutions. We have a core engineering team that is always available for support but it is imperative that you be able to diagnose and fix many of the smaller issues independently.
The ideal candidate;
- Has a degree in a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a technical certification with 2+ years’ experience
- Knowledge of electrical power-trains, experience with electric motors or knowledge of DC circuits
- Experience with automotive repair or industrial machinery, working with farm machinery either tractors or post-harvest processing equipment, fabrication and welding experience.
- Clear thinking/problem solving ability- can lead projects/process improvement within the E-Trak project
- Ability to break down complex issues into simpler steps and resolve them.
- Ability to prioritize & promote teamwork.
- Flexibility and a willingness to stretch and achieve over and above base expectations.
- Experience with early-stage prototyping, DIY projects, or robotics
- Experience with solar installations
We are looking for someone who is driven, passionate, likes to build stuff, is willing to get the hands dirty and go all in to be challenged to the limits of engineering potential.
Bodawerk offers a fun, supportive work environment and opportunities for continued professional growth within a fast-growing global enterprise. It is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, HIV/Aids, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Qualified females are more encouraged to apply